ESWET's 3rd Annual Workshop: Energy-from-Waste, the Big Picture - Brussels
The ESWET Workshop took place on the 11th of October in the Representation of North Rhine Westphalia in Brussels.
Speakers and the audience were invited to debate the following questions:
Has legislation on Energy-from-Waste helped the environment?
Should the EU landfill or recover its residual waste?
Is Energy-from-Waste clean and complementary to recycling?
- Edmund Fleck, President, ESWET
Energy-from-Waste: the Big Picture
- Michael Warhurst, Senior Campaigner for Resource Use, Friends of the Earth United Kingdom
Friends of the Earth’s view of Sustainable Waste Management
- Michael Weltzin, Advisor for Climate Policy, Parliamentary Group of Alliance 90 / The Greens in the German Bundestag
Saving resources and protecting climate – Waste policy concept of Alliance 90 / The Greens in Germany
It was an open debate of opponents and proponent of Energy-from-Waste. We hope that the participants could get a better view of what is the best outcome for their residual waste.
Many thanks to all those who attended!
ESWET's Workshop is Sustainable - Belgian Presidency of the EU's Sustainability Criteria
The Belgian Presidency has included the ESWET Workshop in its list of Sustainable Events.
Practical details for a sustainable event
- Participants with a disability can contact us so that we can take care of/provide assistance. If you have special dietary wishes, please let us know.
- In order to protect the environment, we suggest you walk or cycle when travelling short distances. The bike rental Villo (www.villo.be) provides bikes that can be rented and dropped-off easily in many places in Brussels. The closest drop-off locations to the venue are near the Metro station Trône/Troon and at the intersection of the Belliard Street with the Science Street.
- The venue can be easily reached via public transport. Visit: www.stib.be – www.mivb.be and www.b-rail.be. The closest Metro station is Trône/Troon.
- If you come by plane or car, you can compensate the associated CO2 emissions through www.compenco2.be or www.co2logic.com.
- If you need accommodation, the Silken Berlaymont, Radisson Blu EU Hotel and Martin’s Central Park are all are within walking distance from the venue and certified by the Ecodynamic Business label from the Brussels Capital Region for their sustainable management efforts